Sunday, December 21, 2008

HK School VIsits at a glance

My first encounter with HK schools was anything but expected.

I have heard about the level of care and respect teachers show towards students, but to experience it for myself was a personal 'aha'.

At Creative Primary School (CPS), I was struck by the composure of student ambassadors tasked to host us, from even as young as P3. They spoke with sincerity, although they struggled at times with English; I find that they generally put in a lot of effort in carrying themselves well in front of visitors. The level of student leadership was indeed high, in the sense that the pupils managed themselves very well.

At Yuen Long Lutheran, I experienced the warmth and sincerity of the staff firsthand. Again, IE is quite evident as staff displayed respect and positive high expectations for their students, and finding them more often than not, exceeding the teachers' expectations.

Through it all, the spirit of IE manifesting in care and intentionality, has indeed set the tone of the schools' culture and in turn affects all who are within the culture in a very positive way.

In particular, one most important takeaway was a Primary 5 pupil's sharing of what "intentionality" means to him, as shared by CPS Principal, Cleo. He said that to be intentional, means to consciously and purposefully looking to make or do things work better, be it in personal academic endeevours or in making contributions to the school or community. This is similar to one of the Covey 7 Habits: Be Proactive.

I will look into carrying these insights and inspirations into my classrooms and hope to share good news about the outcome in the future with all of you and my other partners in education.

Mun Wai

No comments:

Post a Comment